Conventions Life



I have attended many conventions since I was a teenager, and some as a child. Besides the Star Wars Celebration, Star Trek Cons, or the One Ring Conventions. I have attended a couple of Library conventions which I thought were really good.  They showed at the time new technologies that the libraries were just beginning to use. Many writing conventions and journalism conventions where I always picked up something new and use to this day in my writing. There were also cultural Faires (as Faires are a sort of a convention.)  These conventions is where I would teach people about the Celtic Culture and Heritage and when we return to normal I am hoping to return doing that.

As I mentioned in a previous blog that I volunteer at a couple of conventions, one being Norwescon which stands for ‘The Northwest Convention’ and is a conglomerate convention in that it combines, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Gothic and writing. Norwescon has always been one of my favourite conventions to attend and volunteer at and I have been attending since Norwescon 15 and in 2021 will be its 44 year and has been on Easter Weekend for many years.

Conventions for me have always been fun, educational and away to see friends that you only see once a year as well as entertaining. These are also a way to meet new friends that you can share your hobbies and many other things with.  They are fun because you are at a place with people that have like minded interest.

Other conventions consist of Sakura Con (an Anime Convention), Crypticon which is a great Horror Convention. Then there is the Emerald City Comic Con, San Diego, and New York Comic Con. Most conventions have away to meet your favourite actor/actress, talk with them, get your photo with them and also get their autographs. At These conventions I have met more Celebrities and have many great memories with them than I could imagine.

At the 1998 Star Trek Convention I attended, I got to meet and talk for some time Deforrest Kelley (for those who don’t know he played Dr. McCoy in Classic Star Trek.) which was awesome, and it’s a memory I will never forget because this was his last convention, because a year later is when he passed away. I have lots of photos with many celebrities and autographs.

Another fun aspect at most conventions is becoming friends and meeting many Cosplayers (which will be a future blog.) Talking to them about all the Different characters that they play. Some do it professionally and make quite a bit of money doing it, have websites where they show all their outfits and even sell photos, other merchandise to support their career or hobby. Cosplayers can make around $70-125,000 a year. And on an average $56,000.  I use to dress in different cosplay outfits for a long while when I started attending, and now for the last 15 years I have just gone in regular clothing or I wear a kilt outfit just for cons.

Most conventions do have guest authors talking about their latest book or reading pages from one of their books. Artist displaying their creations and even selling their art or other creations of theirs. Live musique with musicians play or there is usually a place created for Filking groups to sing their newest works. Filk music is about or inspired by science fiction, fantasy, horror, science, and/or subjects of interest to fans of speculative fiction; frequently, being a song whose lyrics have been altered to refer to science fiction; parodying famous songs ( Something like what Weird Al has done. However, much filk music is original rather than parodic. I will also be posting a blog on Filking in the future.

Conventions host a multi-day event, some conventions will start on Wednesday and go till Sunday, and they will have an opening ceremony and a closing one, giving out awards to best dress cosplayer, writing awards. Some conventions hold Masquerade balls, where you come dressed in you cosplay and walk on the catwalk or act out a small performance and are than judged by a selected panel, and professional photographers will take photos of the events. There are dealers’ room where many different types of merchants are selling items that people will want.

I usually attend at least three or four conventions a year, beside my Highland games, Renaissance Faires and Celtic Festivals. I will usually decide which conventions and other events I will go to that year in Jan/Feb, but for sure I know I will always attend Emerald City Comic Con, Norwescon and the WRAES Events, because I tend to help out at those event and volunteer my time (which consist of The Oregon Renfaire, Pirate Festival, Washington Renfaire, and the Celtic Festival). Than I will decide which other Faires I will go to, and which Highland Games depending on if I am working a Clan Booth or a Merchant Booth.  I will always try to attend local festivals and since I do put on a Celtic Festival in Edmonds/Lynnwood area I have to attend that one as well.

I always have fun at all these events and I know you all will fine something entertaining at these places as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renaissance Faire Interesting Information

Gardnerian Wicca

Wedding Photography Pt 2