Fencing

 

 



There is no other cooler or fun sport then fencing, yes, I said that. What other sport do you know of where you can wield a sword and physically attack someone without getting arrested. There are more to fencing than sword to body hits, it has a set of footwork and body positions with each strike. It is one of the last legal ways to duel another person without getting authorities involved and then the courts.

I have always enjoyed fencing, I have been doing it for over thirty years now, I started with Olympic style fencing (and still do it every chance I get) which is with the foil, Epee and Sabre that in a way resemble a old-style car antenna. I than moved onto live steel fencing, which is using real style sword to fence with, and before anyone ask yes, I have fencing in a kilt before I don’t do it too often, but I have done it.

During the quarantine time, I usually just do a little practice in the backyard or even in the driveway to have room, and not to break anything in the house. Most of the time it’s just my parry and riposte footwork that I tend to practice, because without someone, your no learning what you maybe doing wrong and need to correct it. You can do it solo, practicing in front of a mirror may help you see what you may be doing wrong and correct it, but it is always better to fence with an opponent.

Fencing is a fun and energetic activity; it also builds hand-eye coordination. Fencing is easy to learn at any age and any body type, contrary to what some people would say, and it is quick to pick up and know the steps right from the beginning. It can also be done by people of any age from seven to a hundred. I highly recommend try fencing the basic starter gear is not that expensive, you need a mask, glove, the foil/epee. Or sabre are basically all you need, but if you want you may get the trousers and sneakers, or just wear a pair of jeans and tennis shoes if you want.  A basic starter set from Absolute Fencing cost between $130 – $230, as always you can look on eBay, but that’s up to you and depending on what you want in the basic set.   I also do Kendo, which kind of a Japanese fencing using a bamboo sword called a Shinai. There are also fencing schools, and some Universities and Junior Colleges have fencing clubs and classes.

As always if you have any questions please leave a comment or send me an email. Thanks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renaissance Faire Interesting Information

Gardnerian Wicca

Wedding Photography Pt 2